Sunday, May 1, 2011

Let the dancing begin!

Today is the first day of May, and the first day of the 2011 WordCount Blogathon. As I said a few weeks back, I want to boost my post numbers and flex my writing muscles. Why? Because as they say in the dance world, I've been "marking it."

I was a dancer for 27 years, and my thinking often uses dancing terms for pedestrian actions. Often before a dance routine is done "full out," as in performance, dancers mark the routine's steps. Going through the motions to check the body's memory for what steps happen at which time without breaking a sweat and using all of the body's energy. For the past six months, my blog has been a big marking exercise. Going through the motions, writing posts to keep my content growing, but without much thought or inspiration. The Blogathon is a chance to dive in and do the month of May "full out," hopefully boosting my writing capacity.

So here we go, a full month of inspiration and support from over 100 bloggers who have taken the challenge. I'm excited to work with you.

Do you have an activity for which you are exerting only half your energy? How did you boost yourself to a "full out" performance?

Photo: Smabs Sputzer

11 comments:

  1. I love the dance terms used for writing!

    I guess I'm the opposite in that I'm more likely to use the blogathon for "marking it." Making myself write, getting over myself, etc. With a deadline every day, I won't worry too much about the content, just about forcing myself to sit down and write.

    Looking forward to posting with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I'm hoping to go "full out" in this month of blogging every day. Being part of such a supportive community is definitely helping me perform... though it is only Day 1. ;-)

    Sadly, though, I can think of several other areas where I'm not exerting all of my energy (specifically, two book projects I've got on the go). It can be hard when we're pulled in so many directions: translation, blogging, writing... oh, and trying to fit a life in, too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tara - I am the same way. I become attached to my content to the point that I only post once a week. Silly, isnt' it? Can't wait to read your posts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa - I often feel that pull in every direction as well. I 've really tried to get many posts together before hand (i.e. writing a few sentences) so that I'm not pulling my hair out the night before after a day of work, making dinner and laundry. Glad we are in this together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for the first post of the blogathon! For me inspiration comes out of routine, too, but it's sometimes difficult for me to remember that. Blogathon 2011 is here to help! I look forward to being on the journey together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get pulled in multiple directions, as well. This helped me last year to get my readership up and participation up, so I hope it will do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll toast to that! Excellent first post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am hoping to go full throttle for blogathon. It will surely be a challenge, if I complete this I will be so very proud of myself.

    Good luck at blogathon.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Basically, I just schedule myself to do something else really important that I should be doing other than blogging - blogging just seems to come easier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to the next month of reading your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck to all participants! And thanks Rebecca for the support. I'm enjoying reading your blog in my reader every week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails